Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
havokx
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Last Request

Im not sure if im asking the right questions or what Im doing wrong here but I cant seem to get an answer to 1 question, Im starting to realize its a difficult process but could someone spare a few min to explain how i can make this mod? please.

I just want to learn how to take the topless body in the pic and add the swimsuit top to it so that it fits.

I would be greatly appreciative of anyone that could be troubled by my request.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hq_naked_body_148.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	23906  
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Have you checked Wenricks tutorial? This is a VRS based project.
Take the two dats, combine them into one and then either use meta or if you are comfortable with VRS stretch the bathing suit over the nude body in the places you want it to cover/dont want to cover.
To get it to "fit" is the hard part, its just like porting from once race to another the different skeletons are obviously different sizes so you will be spending about 10 seconds combinding, then 10 days tweaking the body to fix/not clip here and there.

Also my topic that some of the modders of neko helped me out called "Question: About Combinding models" should help...
http://neko-sentai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4559
Old 06-16-2008, 01:54 AM   #3
havokx
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

yeah i did the combining tutorial step by step and got absoloutly nothing at all, i guess you need a solid grasp on the basics of these programs before you can get into this type of thing .

anyways could someone at least explain what a UV mapping even is? or what roll it plays in a dat file?

I hear "textures" term tossed around alot too what is this?, Ive been guessing its like a picture of some design
Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Jamie
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Acina!
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

the "Texture" is an image file, depending on what methods you use to mod it will either be in .dds or .bmp format. the texture is the pretty graphics of your model that you can see, it is also referred to as the "skin". For example, here are the textures i used to make my elivira head mod for EF:

the "UV map" is what tells your mod how to stretch your texture around your model. Here is a pic of a uv map applied to a mod of mine:

The blue lines you see on the bottom half of the abdomen are a representation of the UV map. I'll post a pic of what the uv map looks like flattened out (how you view it in metasequoia) when I get home from work.

Hope this explains a little.
:)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Acina!
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

This is basically what your UV map looks like "unfolded" in Meta:

You can see the model off to the left, and the texture with the UV map off to the right. By moving the vertices (points that join the triangles on your model together) you can change how your texture stretches or squishes on your frame.

You will have to register and become a member, but ffxidats.com has a ton of great guides on all sorts of cool things you can do with different editing programs. That is where I learned to mod. :)
Old 06-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Vallija
Forum Member

Man, thanks for posting that Acina. I didn't know you could do that with UV mapping -- I was doing a ton of trial and error in Photoshop to make things fit and it was killing me. I'll have to try this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner