Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Default FFTA2L Grimiore of the Rift

Has anyone else gotten this yet? Aside from the law system, I loved the first FFTA, so I rushed out and got this ASAP. So far I am loving it even more then the first one, probably due to the reduced law penalties. The storyline is better as well. Probably my favorite character so far is Adelle, simply due to her personality later in the game. I just wish people would draw some hentai of her...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Taris
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I had always felt like laws in the first one was a not-so-well-thought-out, bizzare way for Square to up the challenge level of the game. (Well, that, and to emphasize that part of the actual story.) Tho they mostly ended up being anywhere from a minor nuisance to a "wow, way to make this fight as annoying as humanly possible" kind of thing.

Other than that, I thought that FFTA was a great re-working/improvement of the original Tactics system, and the size of the battles was perfect for a handheld system. (Honestly, I don't know why some folks ended up clocking an hour or more on some of those missions.)
And it introduced a really interesting new FF-world/universe/whatever you want to call it. There needs to be more gun-toting, Ultima-slinging moogles in FF games.

I wasn't a fan of FF 12, tho. Or of the strategy sequel-spinoff they had for the DS. And so I'm still kind of wary about buying this one...

Mostly waiting on more testimonials such as the one above, really. I actually don't know many folks around these parts who've played the first, so couldn't get their opinion. And don't trust most of the online reviews. ESPECIALLY the ones that include such rot as "eww, 2-D", "eww, anime-style", or other crap that has nothing to do with how well a game actually turned out.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taris

Mostly waiting on more testimonials such as the one above, really. I actually don't know many folks around these parts who've played the first, so couldn't get their opinion. And don't trust most of the online reviews. ESPECIALLY the ones that include such rot as "eww, 2-D", "eww, anime-style", or other crap that has nothing to do with how well a game actually turned out.
I know what you mean. To much emphasis is placed on graphics these days.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Frappuccino42
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

FFT:A introduced a lot of gameplay mechanics that were a sort of improvement from issues in FFT. It had some new flaws (such as magic resistance reducing healing effects), but overall it was a well-made game.

I didn't know this game was out. I will definitely buy it.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frappuccino42
FFT:A introduced a lot of gameplay mechanics that were a sort of improvement from issues in FFT. It had some new flaws (such as magic resistance reducing healing effects), but overall it was a well-made game.

I didn't know this game was out. I will definitely buy it.
You will probably love it. The game mechanics have been tweaked slightly, for better or worse, including a revision of the law system. There are two new races with four jobs each, and each existing race gets an additional 1-3 jobs also. Special characters still get a job unique to them, but the best part is they can actually switch to and from their unique job instead of being stuck on it and unable to learn new abilities. Most of the animations have been improved a LOT, especially the Ultima attacks. I had a blast playing it.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

Does this still have that retarded law system?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
RandomNumberGenerator
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
Does this still have that retarded law system?
Yes, but they changed it. A lot. You can ignore the law completely throughout the entire game if you want.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Frappuccino42
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I bought this, but I'm really disappointed in it. I don't like the mechanical changes, and the game overall seems way to similar to the previous title.

The last straw for me was when I was in the battle in which I wasn't allowed to make ranged attacks. Easy, right? No. I failed three times in a row because physical crits have a knockback effect which the game was counting as ranged attacks. My crit rate in that fight raised from "never happening" to like 40% chance.

Bullshit. I just don't know if I have the patience for this thing.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Aside from some total BS bonuses there's no real NEED to follow the law... honestly when the law goes against my force I say "Oh yeah? Well fuck YOU law." I just HATE how the enemy doesn't need to adhere to it anymore, though. :\

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions