Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
thelordymir
Forum Member

Default Buddy passes

Hey all, I was thinking of returning to the world of FFXI after a hiatus in WoW. WoW has gotten pretty boring and id like to get back to FFXI. My friend was showing interest as well in it so I thought it might be fun to play with them. I was wondering if anyone had 2 buddy passes they could let us use to try the game out with. I'm not sure how the buddy passes work since I never used them before, but from my understanding it's just a basic subscription with no expansions, just the main game.

So would anyone be willing to do that? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

You don't need a buddy pass anymore.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
thelordymir
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
You don't need a buddy pass anymore.

What do you mean? Do they offer free trials now or is there no such thing?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

You can pick what server you want to be on at character creation now. Buddy passes just add special "features" to the giver and receiver.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

They did what they should have done at the start of the game...

You can now chose what server you want to play on during the character creation process.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
thelordymir
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
They did what they should have done at the start of the game...

You can now chose what server you want to play on during the character creation process.
Well that's good to know, but I read something about a buddy pass being SE's version of a trial you can get like other MMO's. Is this true or are there no trials for FFXI? My friend doesnt know if they will like the game or not.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

FFXI comes standard with a free 30day trial, which the purchase of a brand new copy of FFXI.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
thelordymir
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
FFXI comes standard with a free 30day trial, which the purchase of a brand new copy of FFXI.

Mm yeah, but I was hoping SE started doing what WoW and other MMO's do and offering a free trial outside of purchasing the game and getting that 1st month free. How much is the whole compilation of FFXI going for nowadays anyways? Do the expansions have good newbie leveling areas. Sorry it's been a while since I played (About 1-1.5yrs).

Just kind of sucks since I know how the game looks and feels and would drop the money to go back, but my friend doesnt and I dont want to start up again if they arnt with me.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

I've seen the original CDs at a game store somewhere around here for $3 or so (Yes, that is correct without a zero.). I seem to recall they lowered the price to that at some point or another. That wasn't a bargain bin thing, but the standard price.

If you want to get the entire thing with expansions, it's $30. At least it was for Xbox (Vana'diel Collection 2008). The Chains of Promathia and Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansions contain very little for lowbies. ToA and the newest expansion, Wings of the Goddess, both contain new advanced jobs accessible at Lv30. WoG has some lowbie areas right outside the towns that can serve as alternatives, but it would be incredibly difficult for you to make it to the towns initially without any help and no one parties there. That is the only real lowbie content on those expansions.

If it would affect your decision, the advanced jobs by expansion are:
ToA: Blue Mage, Corsair, Puppetmaster
WoG: Dancer, Scholar
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
thelordymir
Forum Member

Damn 3 dollars? haha wow i'm surprised, did you see that at a Gamestop or EB?

I might just grab 2 basic copies at that price.

If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me the zone areas for WoG and ToAU?

I dont want to be the guy in LFG that doesnt have an expansion and screws the group.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

It was a GameStop. We don't have EBGames stores around here.

As for the zones...
http://www.ffxi-atlas.com/

Chains of Promathia zones include:
The Tavnazian Archipelago region
The Lumoria region
The Emptiness region
The Movalpolos region
The Limbus region
Pso'Xja
Bibiki Bay
Attohwa Chasm & Boneyard Gully
Uleguerand Range & Bearclaw Pinnacle

Treasures of Aht Urhgan zones are everything over the landmass to the right (to the right of Miscellaneous zones, Dynamis, etc.) except the Emptiness region.

Wings of the Goddess zones are everything on the lower blue map.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I think those 3 dollar discs only include the original areas, I know they have them at Gamestop, however I didn't read them that much.

But to save you time... why'd you leave FFXI in the first place? Since if it was because of how long it takes to do stuff and the lack of stuff you can do solo... SE hasn't done anything about that.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #13
thelordymir
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saire
It was a GameStop. We don't have EBGames stores around here.

As for the zones...
http://www.ffxi-atlas.com/

Chains of Promathia zones include:
The Tavnazian Archipelago region
The Lumoria region
The Emptiness region
The Movalpolos region
The Limbus region
Pso'Xja
Bibiki Bay
Attohwa Chasm & Boneyard Gully
Uleguerand Range & Bearclaw Pinnacle

Treasures of Aht Urhgan zones are everything over the landmass to the right (to the right of Miscellaneous zones, Dynamis, etc.) except the Emptiness region.

Wings of the Goddess zones are everything on the lower blue map.

Are there lowbie/middle zones for leveling in WoG or ToAU? I know you could lvl and explore, Attohwa when you pretty low

And I quit FFXI back in the day because of the tedium and time involvement, but ive come back to also enjoy that element again. WoW doesnt really have the same sense of accomplishment when leveling.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #14
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

ToA zones have no monsters below Lv60. The only thing a lowbie can do in ToA at all is to get the advanced jobs. Leveling in ToA starts at about 55 and you keep going there until 75.

Page with a bestiary listing of the monsters in East Ronfaure [S] in WoG, as an example.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/East_Ronfaure_%28S%29
As you can see, there's a huge range in the levels, from 10 all the way up to mid-60s, and they're only moderately split. Very little outside of the zones right outside towns checks too weak to a 75.
Currently exp parties in WoG zones are almost nonexistent. However, the Campaign system can be started early for low experience, or moderate experience at 61+. It doesn't compare to exp party speed, but it's something you can do for short periods or while waiting for said party.

If you're going to pick up just the $3 starter discs, I highly advise just springing for the entire collection should you decide you're going to stay. You would save money in the long run since ToA is essential to get past the 50's, and you'll probably want WoG and CoP eventually anyway.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #15
Antwan
Decendant of Novus
Forum Member

There are "Buddy Passes" and "World Passes". I think Corrderio and Ferris were thinking of the World Pass, which is now obsolete.

A Buddy Pass on the other hand, let's a friend of yours play the game for 30 days free of charge. I have a Buddy Pass you could use, but only one.

Edit: I know it seems like you already have it solved, but I figure if it's going to save you a couple bucks and you want to use it, you're welcome to it since I don't imagine I'll be using it at all. Someone might as well get some use out of it.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
thelordymir
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwan
There are "Buddy Passes" and "World Passes". I think Corrderio and Ferris were thinking of the World Pass, which is now obsolete.

A Buddy Pass on the other hand, let's a friend of yours play the game for 30 days free of charge. I have a Buddy Pass you could use, but only one.

Edit: I know it seems like you already have it solved, but I figure if it's going to save you a couple bucks and you want to use it, you're welcome to it since I don't imagine I'll be using it at all. Someone might as well get some use out of it.

Well if you could toss me the code id appreciate it a ton. Will just mean i'll need to snag one more code for my friend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff