Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
Xanthu
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Random "500 Internal Server Error"

Quote:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Too much bandwith used? Usually get this when trying to login to the forums, sometimes other random points while browsing. After a couple tries it usually goes through, sometimes not.

Just informing ya.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

It did it to me like 10x while i was trying to view this thread. It's been happening a lot for the last 4 or 5 days. Seems like there's a 2/3 chance that when i click something, the error will load lol.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Same here. It's getting pretty annoying.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,588 Times in 3,421 Posts

hmmm I see the problem, something or someone is using a large amount of server resources, the 500 error is the "limit" hit.

I don't have the tools to check who atm but when I get home they will be banned.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

This is what the server "usage" looks like atm,

The 193 (middle bar) is the "max" usage, anything above that is "burtsable" (aka cna handle small bursts above, but prolonged usage will cause 500 error)

usualy someone using some soorta "site grabber" causes this, once I get home and check the server log, it won't take but about 30seconds to find the Ip address of whoever is using it and will be banned shortly after.

As a side note, I can raise the "server" allowed usage at any time, but since its a extra monthly charge I don't raise it too high. 193 = +19.30$ month charge (to current host cost) (can go up to 2000 aka $200 month)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva
This is what the server "usage" looks like atm,

The 193 (middle bar) is the "max" usage, anything above that is "burtsable" (aka cna handle small bursts above, but prolonged usage will cause 500 error)

usualy someone using some soorta "site grabber" causes this, once I get home and check the server log, it won't take but about 30seconds to find the Ip address of whoever is using it and will be banned shortly after.

As a side note, I can raise the "server" allowed usage at any time, but since its a extra monthly charge I don't raise it too high. 193 = +19.30$ month charge (to current host cost) (can go up to 2000 aka $200 month)
I wouldn't worry too much about spending more money just yet! The site usually runs fine when there aren't a bunch of ass holes using tools like that, right? So just ban them, it'll be fun for you, and we will all be happy too. It's win-win!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

hmmm must be something else I'm not seeing too much "heavy" users. Maybe something else massive happening unsure atm. Still looking into it to see whats causing it
Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Well not sure what at all is causing it so as a temporary alternative fix, I've upped the memory on the server to about 100 over the "max" its reached, it should solve the current 500 error issues
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm no use with all this technically mumbo jumbo stuff, but I have almost 0 errors all day. Around 12am-4am CST is when I start getting 500 errors as well. Hope it helps (If any).
Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Well I checked the logs, it all "seems" normal, only thing I noticed is some decent amount of page "loadings" but it was from various Ip addresses not 1 single thing jsut spamming refresh.

Although as much resources as the site has it should be able to handle upwards to 300-500 visitors fine.

I mean a website that has about... average 300 visits (without mucha ttachments) only uses 20-30MB memory, something shot it up to 300-400MB.

But the logs don't show it, I've asked my host to check deeper into the possible causes.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva
Well I checked the logs, it all "seems" normal, only thing I noticed is some decent amount of page "loadings" but it was from various Ip addresses not 1 single thing jsut spamming refresh.

Although as much resources as the site has it should be able to handle upwards to 300-500 visitors fine.

I mean a website that has about... average 300 visits (without mucha ttachments) only uses 20-30MB memory, something shot it up to 300-400MB.

But the logs don't show it, I've asked my host to check deeper into the possible causes.
Whole thing seems kinda odd... Irregardless of the cause, the logs should still show the result... I'm starting to believe it's just an error on the host's end.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

The IP's

have been recently banned for "excessive" usage. Not sure what they are using but its some form of 'site grabber".
Those kind of things use a ton of website resources especially because its hammering the site at like 100 connections/sec or something crazy.

Theres more of'em so need to weed them out slowly.

When I see it peeking in usage, I'll raise up the site resources temporarly so I can catch/ban them.

The site dosne't get many donations so I can't really keep it up on "high mode" all the time for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Public Directory » Forum issues