Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Default Neverwinter Nights 2 (Old game is oooold)

I've finally actually decided to pick up NWN 2 and NWN 2:Mask of the Betrayer again and I gotta say... boy am I out of it. In D&D games I've always played the part as the rogue, the diplomat, the "problem solver", using rapier and wit to get out of majority of problems and not relying on some retarded NPC to do it all for me, I'm so out of touch with this game, been WELL over a year since I played it... last save file to date was Feb of 06, that I really don't know how to exactly start off a rogue in either campaign to my specifications in terms of feats and stats.

TL:DR, How should I build a rogue and how can I Multi-class it without giving up the finesse/Silver Tongue approach and still be of use in battle.

Quick edit: If you're gonna offer tips, please include what race you're refering to as well. I like just about all of them in NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer except anything with a +2 or more level adjustment... and small races.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Whenever I play a rogue I prefer elf just for the dex bonus and always active search at no penalty.

Moon Elf
Str: 10 or 12
Dex: 18
Con: 8 or 10
Int: 14 or 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 12 or 14

For skills, max out diplomacy, bluff, hide, move silently, all those "roguey" feats.
For your first feat pick weapon finesse.

Go the non-good route, sign on with Moire's gang in neverwinter and get the shadow thief of amn prestige class. Invisible Blade is also a fine prestige class to put levels in. Both max out at 5 levels so you could conceivably take both. I also enjoy getting a level in shadowdancer just for hide in plain sight.

You could also go rogue/wizard for the arcane trickster prestige class but I'm not really a fan of it, far too squishy.

Let this be a warning though, the later parts of the original campaign are quite difficult for rogue characters as you fight large quantities of undead and other things that are mostly immune to what you have.

Install this too.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view....Detail&id=141
Vast improvements to the AI. Your companions actually become capable of acting on their own.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Actually... I beat the original campaign of NWN 2 as a 1 Bard/9 Fighter/ 10 Red Dragon Disciple and it was hella easy. :\ Just smash through everything with I think... I had nautral 18 Con and 24 Str with max Bluff/Diplomacy thanks to Bard and Able Learner. >.>

My problem there was it was just to damn easy that way. :P
Old 07-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

10 levels of red dragon disciple makes anything easy.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

This is true.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Any multi-class ideas besides like... pure rogue? Seeing as MOTB is a bit harder then the OC of the first so I get a BIT more versatility/survivability.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Well it was pretty fun as a Female Tiefling rogue. It was pretty damn hard up until 21 when I got Epic Precision so I could Sneak Attack elementals, feys, contructs, undead, and anything else un-sneak attackable but once I got it... with feint and over 50 Bluff stuff just got WASTED in front of me.

Now for my next challenge!

A male something, preferably a pure melee, actually TRY enchanting stuff (I can never get the hang of NWN crafting...), and find a way to be the "good guy" (AKA cure the curse) and actually max out my influence with "The One of Many". I LOVE that guy... but it seems the only way to GET influence is to be a dick to everyone and devour every soul you find. :\ Honestly I HATE that path... I know it's just a game but... I just can't do the evil path in games anymore.

is it even POSSIBLE to be good and still get influence with The One of Many?

(Reason I can't do evil is because the evil path is ALWAYS "Hi, I'm a giant dick who likes to kick puppies, put babies on spikes, and bent on total destruction!" Is an INTELLIGENT evil really so damn hard to portray?)
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm gay for Gann.

Anyway for a nice pure melee try fighter/weaponmaster/frenzied berserker. Abuse scythe's X4 critical with weaponmaster. The frenzied berserker is good for added survivability and damage.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

But there are no scythes that allow crit attacks on most of the stuff in MOTB and no crafting enchants that would allow me to do so either. :\

Also doesn't answer if I can someone work well with One of Many and still be a good guy.

And I'm gay for Gann too. He's such a jack-ass... but a kick ass jack ass. :P
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Mask of the Betrayer is one of the best games I've played in a really long time. Extremely good stuff.

You'll be hard pressed to get influence with One-of-Many on a good character though. The good news is that MotB has one of the best evil playthroughs I've ever tried (possibly the best one). I'm generally not a fan of evil playthroughs either, but in MotB I really felt it was justified. Especially after the ending in NWN2 where your character have worked his ass off, only to be transported to this distant land with a horrible curse slapped on to him. The motivation is definetely there which is important.

But yeah, you don't get much influence with One-of-Many as a good character, heh.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #11
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah the ending of the first kind of pissed me off. I wanted to go back to my keep (and harem.)
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Hell... I wanted Neeshka as a love interest, even though Obsidian/Bioware do HORRIBLE jobs at such things, in the first NWN 2 game... just like I'd much rather have Kaelyn in MOTB then Safiya. I dunno why really... >.>
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Shantotto
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'm not a big fan of romances in these types of games, since I think it will take an enormous amount of effort to get it right (which means it's likely some other part of the game will suffer in development). And because if you decide to not romance a character, that characters development tends to be instantly weakened a lot.

Kaelyn is one of my favourite characters ever in cRPGs though. Wonderfully written and voiceacted. I think it makes sense though that she's not into romance, she is completely preoccupied with her own personal quest. She's great because if you play a character that agrees with her views, she's incredibly likeable. However, if you play a character that don't agree with her, you see what a crazy zealot she actually is. And there is such a wonderful roleplaying option there in that you can actually Bluff her about supporting her (and gaining influence with her and actually One-of-Many at the same time, great stuff).

There is a bit of dialogue where she says that she (literally) sees things in black and white due to her eyes, and I believe that is definetely her "theme" as far as everything goes.

I need to replay this game.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

But I dunno... if I go talkative type, like my rogue, then I need Okku and Gann for his tanking and his buff/heal ability.

If I go "HULK SMASH!" then I have no need for Okku... which leads One of Many... but I hate going "Yargh! I are evil soul devourerer!" because... well... it's just stupid as hell.

I like Safiya as a buffer, mainly due to Persistent Haste, to ever go without her. :\

So most of my party configures consist of Safiya, Gann/Kael, and Okku/One of Many... but I can't be "evil" to get his influence. :\
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

I can understand WHY Kaelyn is not included as a love interest... but it doesn't mean I can't find her one of the hotter characters in NWN 2. Right behind Neeshka that is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions