Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 09-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Darkeko
Gold experience!!
Forum Member

Default Well , help please =D .

I've got something to ask , I want to start making Dat's and modify'ing armor to post up here for others to take the load of some that need a break once and a while but I also need a good list of every program I need and a couple tips and hints would be very much welcome =D.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,213 Times in 3,294 Posts

Default Re: Well , help please =D .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeko
I've got something to ask , I want to start making Dat's and modify'ing armor to post up here for others to take the load of some that need a break once and a while but I also need a good list of every program I need and a couple tips and hints would be very much welcome =D.
/point

http://www.neko-sentai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214

Tutorials and programs to do modding, motion editing, graphic design etc
Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Lol, don't know how many times I've answered this question.

Well programs:

VRS
ModelViewer
AltanaView
Graphics Converter 3
ChangeText
Metasequioa
M$ Paint/Photoshop/Gimp (Any one, some help to make better stuff then others)

All these programs are used for specific things:
  • VRS = Add Vertex, Remove Vertex, Add Motion, Change Motion, and Re-weight Vertex's to Skeletons is what it's best at.
  • ModelViewer = View models (Ignores hide commands), convert .dat to .mqo (Includes .bmp and .dds files with it), and convert .mqo to .dat, get .dat or .dats used in creating motion (can be 1 to 3 files).
  • AltanaView = Better graphic view (Uses the hide commands), closer view to the true in-game graphic but can be times were in-game still shows different.
  • Graphics Converter 3 = Alpha Mapping, converting .bmp into .dds (Format DXT3), saves out Alpha Mapping from a .dds file, converts .dds into .bmp
  • ChangeText = Pulls out data and puts into a .dds file from a .dat file, swaps in new .dds files into a .dat file
  • Metasequioa = Move Vertex's and UV Mapping
  • M$ Paint = Retexturing, low level of tools and functions (Last resort if you can't get Photoshop or Gimp)
  • Photoshop = Has a plug-in to read .dds files and work directly off them, less quality degrading of the image from Alpha Mapping over and over.
  • Gimp = Provides similar tools and abilities to Photoshop (Freeware)
Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Darkeko
Gold experience!!
Forum Member

Well I have downloaded the program and tried removing the bottom half of the Shinobi gi for a test , Mithra body went beserk lol XD . Had to get the backup out to save my but . After trial and error I learned how to color npc's and pc's . Good start I would have to say . Rough and slow start but a start none the less.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

It really does take time to learn all the programs and their unique functions. With experience it does become easier, and you end up doing things faster. Just cause I'm nice I'll give you a few tips.

Common mistakes:

1) No backups - Back up all files that you touch, move, or manipulate. I'm sure you've learned this already. Its very embarassing asking for someone to send you a .dat file that you accidentally forgot to backup. So far it hasn't happened to me, but one of these days I'm going to screw up, I just know it.

2) Adding and Deleting Vertexes in Meta - Never add or delete vertices in Metasequoia. The result is a corrupted file, and unless your function is to post pictures of screwed up dats, its not very desirable.

3) VRS Problems - VRS, though tricky at first, is actually very logical once you gain a deeper understanding of these .dat files. Grumpy Rarab is your sensei, so just follow his tutorial and you should have no problems. Take your time and learn at your own pace. Just like everything, it will come in time.

Now for some tips:

1 - Learn Metasequoia. Though VRS is useful for many important things, you'll be spending most of your time in Metasequoia (unless you do a lot of race porting). It has a lot of useful functions to make your life easier. You can cut down on a lot of headaches by selecting symetrical vertexes and using move, scale, and rotate. If you feel adventurous you can use the bend function and get some funky stuff. Also, the UV mapping function is invaluable for fixing texture maps.

2 - Keep your files and folders organized. After a while your folers can start looking like New Orleans in October. Keep organized and you'll find that you save so much time by not searching for files that you lost track of.

3- Stay motivated. Yes, modding can be a thankless job. Just remember you're making these mods more for yourself than for others. If you only do it to recieve praise, you're not going to be making mods long. Feedback is mana from heaven.

4- Learn all the programs. From the start of a project to its finish, these are the programs I use and in this order:
Step 1. Modelviewer - Look at files, decide what to do and how to do it.
Step 2. VRS - Import, copy&paste meshes, delete verices, other work, export.
Step 3. Modelviewer - Look at progress, repeat Step 2 if necessary, export to .mqo.
Step 4. Metasequoia - Move vertices, change UV mapping, save.
Step 5. Modelviewer - Import, look at progress, repeat step 4 if necessary.
Step 6. Photoshop - Change texture, change alpha mapping, save.
Step 7. Modelviewer - Look at progress, repeat step 6 if necessary, decide if its ready.
Step 8. ChangeTex - Export original .dds texture if necessary, replace old one.
Step 9. Modelviewer - Confirm texture swap.

If you're making this .dat just for yourself, you are done. If you want to share it online, there are more steps:

Step 10. Folders - Copy the file from the ROM folder and paste in my mod folder, rename file, repeat step 8, 9, and 10 if necessary.
Step 11. Modelviewer - Make a pose, take a screenshot.
Step 12. InfranView - Load screenshot, crop, save as .jpeg file.
Step 13. Folders - Move .jpeg into the mod folder, copy and paste tutorial and readme file into mod folder.
Step 14. Notepad - Open and write release info into the readme file, save.
Step 15. WinRAR - Compress the entire mod folder.
Step 16. Firefox - Access Gulkeeva's frickin awesome website, upload your file, submit.

Now I know that it looks quite intimidating, seeing as I use 5 programs just to make the .dat and 4 more just to get it posted online. Some steps are optional, such as the readme file and the screenshot. Its just more professional if you do include these things. Some people even include all the .dds texture files as well, which is nice.

With experience, this will seem like tying your shoe. You can do it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff