Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
cerbbb
gimp brd
Forum Member

Default quit FFXI considering another MMO

i finally got tired of this game after 4 years. lol
anyone know of any other good MMO's? i've been considering WoW. but not really sure

D:<
Old 08-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Insane
what
Forum Member

Want a 'recruit-a-friend' thing from wow? Worth a play even if you heard about how much negative about the game is but their is also warhammer this year I believe could wait for that.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Warhammer has a mid-September release date and what I'm currently waiting for. However if you have not tried WoW yet then I say find someone to give you a friend pass or something and give it a go. You just might like it.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
cerbbb
gimp brd
Forum Member

MMOs take up too much time... think i might just stick with offline RPGs like oblivion, mass effect, fable, fable2(soon!)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

I liked you and then you said Oblivion.

Grrrrrrrr.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #6
cerbbb
gimp brd
Forum Member

whats wrong with oblivion? lol i put 100+ hours into that game
Old 08-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

Simple. If it wasn't for all the damn mods and add-ons people made for Oblivion it's little more then a crappy story with crappy gameplay elements with only 2 VAs per race and villages that consist of 5 people and a dog.

A game shouldn't NEED mods and add-ons to function.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
cerbbb
gimp brd
Forum Member

oh. well i played it on the 360, no mods just some small expansions
Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Well Mass Effect is great >.> Buy it. Everyone. Or play Stargate Worlds(an MMO) this christmastime.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #10
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie
Well Mass Effect is great >.> Buy it. Everyone. Or play Stargate Worlds(an MMO) this christmastime.
Yea! Go stargate worlds!
You should give it a go when it's released :D

Well, as for offline games... Sins of a solar empire is kinda fun... It's a RTS game though, me and a few people at work play it on the network sometimes, great fun! >:}
Especially when i have like 400 LRM Frigates and about 5 level 8+ capital ships knock on someone else's door, and completely destroy their 12-16 capital ships in 30 seconds. (Which are like... the bad asses of the game. One capital ship can usually take down 20-30 frigates/cruisers by itself, but my super upgraded missles from my LRM's kill their capital ships almost instantly when i barrage them one by one... Imagine about 50,000 missles hitting a space ship all at once, and you'll get the picture!)
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Gredival
Mishneh L'melech
Forum Member

We all play MMO's or games in general to have fun. But there's lots of different players who have fun in many different ways, and different MMO's do a better job of catering to different crowds.

Lots of people say that WoW wins in the "WoW vs. FFXI" setup since FFXI's been losing people and well, WoW is WoW. But I know a lot of people who also came back to FFXI after quitting for WoW, or who tried WoW and never got into it. It's cause the question isn't about which MMO is better, but about your preferences in gaming and which is more tailored to what you enjoy.

Did you actually enjoy your time in FFXI or did you hate it and never understood why you stuck with it? What motivated you to quit? What did you wish Square put in that never actually got put in?

Knowing what you liked and disliked about FFXI is a good start to knowing what to look for and avoid in an MMO.

You mentioned WoW briefly so I'll give you a little break down.

WoW in general is more laid back than FFXI. That doesn't mean that some guilds aren't absolutely batshit raid crazy. But there are design factors in WoW that make it much more kind to a more casual player, which seems to be your goal if you believe MMO's take too much time.

1) Instances over World Spawns. In FFXI you have all the End Game guilds competing all week for a King who may not even drop anything worthwhile (or in King Behemoth's case, never drops anything worthwhile). In WoW it's you vs. the instance. The only thing keeping you down is your skill and your gear. You can get up, wipe again and again until you get the strat down or until you realize your gear just can't support you in the fight yet and you need to farm another area.

2) Soloable/pick-up activities. FFXI is really about group stuff. Very few things are designed to be done alone/. You have lots of stuff might only be for one party, but they are designed for groups of friends moreso that random alliances of strangers. Like for Salvage, you'd be expected to take the same group back week after week even if it was small.

WoW is much more forgiving about that. Lots of stuff is soloable. Group stuff is quest oriented, you get a group with it once you're done. You don't make a static to keep doing this thing until you get your drop. And the gap between what's available to a casual player and whats available to the end game raider isn't nearly as wide as it is in FFXI (at least imo)

3) Item shelf-life and level caps. The goal of an MMO is to keep you coming back and paying for month after month in your quest for shiny loot. Square just makes shit really hard to get. In FFXI good gear doesn't really get replaced. Very top few items become replaced and it usually only happens after a number of years. And when it happens they don't get usually become obsolete. Like Morrigan's Robe is better than Dalmatica, but a Dalmatica is still a hell of a lot better than what 80% of RDMs will ever wear. Then you have some items have yet to become obsolete in all of FFXI's time (hi2u Ridill)

What Blizzard does is to constantly add new gear progression with instances with better gear, or starting new PvP seasons with different prizes, etc.

You can't gear swap in WoW like you do in FFXI. Gear isn't situational in WoW and unlike in FFXI where Square's new gear is usually stuff good for a certain purpose, the new gear Blizzard adds is usually just flat out better. As a result whenever Blizzard introduces something new, it basically completely replaces the best stuff that was there before.

Now consider that WoW raises the level caps in expansions in order to change the playing experience and make it fresh. This has a huge impact on gear rarity/shelf-life because well, everything from before the latest expansion becomes crap. People will always be trying to be the best in WoW cause the goal is literally unattainable since it's not static.

For the casual person, every time lots new gear is introduced they catch up a lot with the more hard core players. Hard core raid guilds which had to run instances for months to get comparable items for stuff they might get much easier. This is most prominent during expansions when you had common drops in Burning Crusade that were comparable to the highest level instance gear.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #12
Kyouri
Forum Member

I hated WoW. ;-; Worst community in a MMO ever, plus it was really way too easy. (I guess for more casual play.) I want to try Stargate when it comes out just cause I'm a fan of the series though.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:16 AM   #13
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouri
I hated WoW. ;-; Worst community in a MMO ever, plus it was really way too easy. (I guess for more casual play.) I want to try Stargate when it comes out just cause I'm a fan of the series though.
Woohoo, go stargate worlds! I'm waiting for it too :)
And i agree about WoW being too easy... I don't like it for the simple fact you can buy the game, having never even seen it before, come home, install it, and reach the level cap in a month. There's no fun in that to me... I liked the fact FFXI included a job changing function, so you have one character who you can advance the way you like, and switch jobs if you get bored with one.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
Mythago
the Angry Iku
Forum Member

And then be LFG for hours because you're a DPS job unless you knew people or knew Japanese. :P

Meanwhile in WoW you'll most likely be AFK because unless you're in a guild group there's a 99% chance your instance group will have the collective IQ of a bag of potatoes.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #15
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythago
And then be LFG for hours because you're a DPS job unless you knew people or knew Japanese. :P.
Any job can solo exp on FFXI... Most people are just too lazy to do it. Yes, ANY job. Even brd.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #16
Gredival
Mishneh L'melech
Forum Member

But FFXI was not designed that way. Square designs almost everything to be a group activity, whether it's casual or end game. They design both all things with group elements and a repetitive cycle.

It's why RDM hasn't gotten very much increase to their enhancing in recent years, they don't want to make it capable of solo'ing anything harder than it currently can.

Avesta solo'ing Seiryu put the developers on tilt and it made them hesitant to improve the job in anything more than in its group-based enfeebling aspect. They are afraid anymore enhancing spells would make the RDM able to boost themselves and solo more stuff.

That's why if people don't enjoy or can't stomach the same event for 6 years (i.e. Kings) they tend to quit FFXI. Those are the same people that enjoy WoW's fast changing dynamic (whatever flaws their instance system has on papers, their system does a core advantage that the very least Blizzard is consistently releasing new content for players)

In WoW the only repetitive things are at the highest level -- i.e. repetitive Black Temple grinding (until BT was replaced), repetitive PvP battles to get 1st place, etc. The majority of content for casual players are quests which you only need to complete once.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #17
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gredival
Avesta solo'ing Seiryu put the developers on tilt and it made them hesitant to improve the job in anything more than in its group-based enfeebling aspect. They are afraid anymore enhancing spells would make the RDM able to boost themselves and solo more stuff.

In WoW the only repetitive things are at the highest level -- i.e. repetitive Black Temple grinding (until BT was replaced), repetitive PvP battles to get 1st place, etc. The majority of content for casual players are quests which you only need to complete once.
Here you go...
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Fa...2007_Live_Blog
hit Ctrl+F after going there, type in RDM, and you will see that SE was debating giving them more enhancing magic to allow stronger melee. If you believe THAT won't help their solo-ability, then you are crazy. It may allow them to kill things that rage a lot easier solo... like KA, Roc, etc... Depending on how much their melee ability will be enhanced.

And if you try to use the "SE is considering it" line, then look at the other job abilities on that post they've released. There sure are a lot of them that they said they're "Considering" releasing that are already in effect.

And as for the WoW part... You don't consider all the quests repetitive? Sure, you kill different things... but it doesn't change the fact almost every quest is "Kill X Monsters" or "Collect X items from this monster." And then there's the fact of the grind, then repeated raids... It's just as repetitive as any MMORPG there is.

Sorry for the derail, I'm just one who likes to get their point across when it's contradicted :P (Aka a bitch)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum