Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default .DDS -> .DAT or .MQO

I started doing a recoloring of a piece of gear and I asked a friend on FFXI who I know is a member on this forum how to do it he told me and I have most of it done. My problem now is that I have the .dds file I need but I can't load it into ModelViewer to make it into a .dat. So my question is how do I get it to go from a .dds to a .mqo so I can finish this project?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I dont know, a alternative is just get the patch for photoshop so it can do .dds and then change tex to load it back. Thanks what I do. Wenrick has a tutorial for it as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To_Dupre
I dont know, a alternative is just get the patch for photoshop so it can do .dds and then change tex to load it back. Thanks what I do. Wenrick has a tutorial for it as well.
I don't have photoshop lmao I did the recoloring in MS Paint XD

Edit: Nevermind I've figured out how to change the .dds to a .mqo using ModelViewer thanks for the help anyway.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Now I've hit another wall >< I've managed to get the .dds to a .mqo file but I need either one of those to become a .mcd file so I can finally convert it into a .dat. ><
Old 08-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

Find any old .DAT in model viewer that's similar to what you want to turn it into. (i.e. body, head, weapons, etc.) Use Model Viewer to convert it to .mqo file, but make sure the name is something different than the file you're modding. Take your modified .dds and .mqo files, rename them to what you just used Model Viewer to convert, and replace the fresh files with your modified ones. That puts your model and texture onto the .mcd file used by the .DAT. Then just use Model Viewer to recompile it into a .DAT again.

Keep in mind if you made a model from scratch using Meta you're going to have to use VRS to set skeletal weights to it or it's just going to show up as a jumbled mess or not load at all.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saire
Find any old .DAT in model viewer that's similar to what you want to turn it into. (i.e. body, head, weapons, etc.) Use Model Viewer to convert it to .mqo file, but make sure the name is something different than the file you're modding. Take your modified .dds and .mqo files, rename them to what you just used Model Viewer to convert, and replace the fresh files with your modified ones. That puts your model and texture onto the .mcd file used by the .DAT. Then just use Model Viewer to recompile it into a .DAT again.

Keep in mind if you made a model from scratch using Meta you're going to have to use VRS to set skeletal weights to it or it's just going to show up as a jumbled mess or not load at all.
Ah sweet good idea, Thanks now I'll be able to finish it ^^
Old 08-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

/sigh that didn't work either it just exploded in ModelViewer : /
Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Saire
RP Junkie
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgod
/sigh that didn't work either it just exploded in ModelViewer : /
That's what I said. You gotta set skeletal weights in VRS or it's going to do that every time.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Hellgod
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Actually I realized what I did wrong and what I should have done. What I did was I appearantly made the whole set in ModelViewer into a .mqo that's what was causing it to explode I took the .mqo and the .mcd file from the gear I wanted to change then converted it into a dat and it worked. So now it's complete ^^ thanks for the help everyone.

And now I give to you my finished project the Shura Sabatons. (They look a little cartoonish I suppose but I took the colors straight from the Shura Sune-ate. Yea I see the line down the middle making them look like their creased down the middle lmao XD)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shura_sabatons_191.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	25507  
Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
kitkat
Motion Editor
Forum Member

think alot of confusion happened here.

for future reference when you recolor a dat that already exist the process is normally this (if working with standard SE created dat).

Open model Viewer and tell it to make the Dat into an mqo.

This seperates the Dat into 4 files normally. DDS BMP MCD and MQO

The only parts the MV really needs is DDS MCD MQO to recreate the dat.

The BMP and DDS is primarily just a Texture that wraps around the the mesh.

The MCD MQO is to open in programs such as mestiquoa to alter the Mesh without any skeleton to work with. It renders the Mesh in a 3d pane that has the flat texture available to view also. Personally if you are going to change the mesh at all I would suggest you do this in VRS rather then in Mestiquoa, less room for error.

The BMP is there for easy opening in any standard app like MS Paint, Gimp, Adobe, etc.

Once done editing the BMP you want to use a program to convert it to DDS. Most use Graphics converter 3 or DXTbmp to convert it back. Personally DXT is a little easier to work with when it comes to making an Alpha map.

Here is the tricky part though, all your files (MCD MQO DDS) need to match name wise. This means when you convert the BMP to DDS rename it the exact same name

IE: You have newrdm.mqo then make sure you have newrdm.mcd and newrdm.dds also.

Once you're back in Model Viewer you go to File: Convert MQO to DAT

This will combine the MQO MCD and DDS files to recreate the DAT file. If you are missing any of these, or you changed them in a way that is abnormal you will either get an error message (typically MV will crash) or you will end up with a file that is pixilated or does not mesh together well (aka "explodes")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner