Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
hideka
Forum Member

Default replacing a chocobo with a guvire style wyvren

question, CAN IT BE DONE!, can i ride on the back of a guvire style wyvren. anyone willing to take this endavor up for me? i have 0 idea as to how work this one >_> i just think as a dragoon itd be be pimp to ride on my wyren >_> (i use bravo as my dragon >_> lil guy is super cute, but hes gota grow up and fuck faces some day am i right?)
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Malisyn
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

As I remember, this is basically a straight swap. At least as Elvaan, all I had to do was swap the standard chocobo dat for the standard wyvern dat. I was actually surprised how well it worked after some of the other straight swaps I'd tried back in the day.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Lalana
Regular Forum User
Dat Modder
Forum Member

Wouldn't you have to redo the riding animations? I think they'd be waaaay off for something like this :o
Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
havokx
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalana
Wouldn't you have to redo the riding animations? I think they'd be waaaay off for something like this :o
agreed, but couldent hurt to back up the original choco file and give it a try
Old 06-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
rufiotear
be a little inappropriate
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalana View Post

Yes, otherwise you would appear inside the wyvern.
Also the edited choco-wyvern motions would not work that well, or at all, because they are too different.The only place they might have similar skeleton assignments are the feet. Since the body parts wont move, all you're left with is a model( which is exactly what you swapped ).

Something that might work is rewriting the skin of the chocobo(mesh objects) with the wyvern skin. But then the skeleton or skin would have to be adjusted to fit the other. At best, you'll end up having a wyvern with a chocobo skeleton. It looks very difficult to do.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
Smedile2.0
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

You can indeed do a simple swap and your character will ride the wyvern at the right height. Works for Tigers or other likely ride-ables as well, but there is one caveat: since no monster has a motion to use when you /dismount, you will freeze in place and have to disconnect to move. The only way around that is to dismount while zoning (which most of us do anyway) so that the animation doesn't try to play. Good luck, experiment to find your favorite, and happy modding!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
rufiotear
Forum Member

hmm I tried ridding NidHogg the other day and I was positioned inside of him but that was probably because he's much bigger than Guvire.lol
His walk motion would only do a few frames before repeating.
I also tried the wyvern pet but it had no motion while idle. I don't think Nidhogg did either.

What I'm trying to do is replace the chocobo body with the Guvire body while keeping the chocobo skeleton. This way the chocobo only commands like chi(idle) and ch1(dismount) will also work with a Guivire body.

After reading your post, I tried doing this with the Guivre and everything ported better than I expected. The Guivre skeleton doesn't seem that much different from a chocobos. It didn't port the wings because there were no skeletons assigned to that part of the mesh, but I've gotten wings to port before while toying with the wyvern pet.

I'm going to try working on this for a bit and will post my progress along the way. Though I might quit it because it already feels draining.lol
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
rufiotear
Forum Member

You can see what I mean in the pic below.

It has no wings because the wings were not assigned skeletal weights. I'm not that experienced with assigning weights but I'm going to try.

Also notice that the motion commands for the Guvire are the same for a chocobo(pc). When it tries to do one of those motions, it moves like a chocobo.

After I assign the wings to some skeletons, I'm going to try and stop all movement for the chi(idle) motion. Then I'll see if I can recreate it to be like a normal Guvire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GuivNowing.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	84167  

Last edited by rufiotear; 06-29-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
rufiotear
Forum Member

I'm not going to be able to finish this.lol
I don't have the patience for assigning skeletal weights to every or 'small groups' of vertexes to make the model look healthy.
Once I added skeletons to the wings(which was easy because its obvjous that they would best connect to the choco skeleton wings \o/ ) I realized that I would have to make judgement calls to properly assign weights for all of those weird looking places, and the chocobo skeletons are compact.

Right now I'm thinking that I could've tried to recreate the Guvire motions without setting universal skeleton weights but the thought of that sounds confusing. How can I alter the skeletons of a motion when the tail, mouth, and wing movements are linked with the same skeleton? ...I might come back to this another time.

Here is a GIF of the failed winged hybrid trying to run
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChocoDragonHybrid.gif
Views:	63
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	84170  

Last edited by rufiotear; 06-29-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Wetdreamer
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

wow lol

what would make that happen 0o? the fact that the wings arnt really a part of the skelly itself or...?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Would it work to figure out the location of the motion ID for the chocobo and export the motions from the Guivre into their place in the chocobo dat? Maybe just replace them all that way so they'd have the correct identifiers in game? I haven't looked into it much, but I thought that things might be cross compatible to a point seeing as how all skeletons start at 1 and are numbered. It might be a strange way of looking at it (and as far as I can tell, it might screw up the NONE animation because it might still attempt to assemble the guivre model according to the skeleton of the chocobo) or it might just not work if the wyvern has more skeleton objects than the choco...

Idk. And I don't know that I'm even making sense :x I just figured that it might work v.v

(I think sideways and sometimes it makes strange things pop in my head...)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
rufiotear
Forum Member

It screws up the NONE animation and makes it a big pile of crap.
Its like trying to give an chocobo a hume skeleton. They have a different amount of skeletons and the similar skeletons are assigned to different vertices on different body parts. You can import a Guvire motion file but it looks weird because the chocobo body doesn't have the same amount of skeletons and the skeletal weights are improperly assigned.
The weights are really the problem. The other day I tried to do the same thing with a wyvern(pet) but assigning the facial skeletons are too much for me.

After the weights are decently assigned, all of the motions will have to be redone from scratch to do whatever we want. (just like how we make custom race motions)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
Kamilynn
Displaced ffxidats modder
Forum Member

Location: Kinda sorta near Sioux Falls, SD; close enough to work there but not quite enough to hang out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufiotear View Post
It screws up the NONE animation and makes it a big pile of crap.
Its like trying to give an chocobo a hume skeleton. They have a different amount of skeletons and the similar skeletons are assigned to different vertices on different body parts. You can import a Guvire motion file but it looks weird because the chocobo body doesn't have the same amount of skeletons and the skeletal weights are improperly assigned.
The weights are really the problem. The other day I tried to do the same thing with a wyvern(pet) but assigning the facial skeletons are too much for me.

After the weights are decently assigned, all of the motions will have to be redone from scratch to do whatever we want. (just like how we make custom race motions)
Hrmm... I might poke at things the way I think it might work and see how big of a pile of crap I can make!

It MIGHT be relatively simple to reassign skeletons enough that it'll work with the choco's limited number... But that might also take time/effort :|!

And if it helps, I totally knew the stuff you said ;; I have the understanding, just not the experience! I swear I'm only mildly incompetent :X
Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
rufiotear
Forum Member

nice. It will definitely take time and much effort. I just tried to see what would happen if I edited the motion with those sloppy weights and I ended up assigning weights to the chocobo legs. But in the end I would rather the dragon fly instead of walking and running.lol
Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

You could move the wing mesh around so they look morenatual at rest and not really have to assign diff weights to them to make them move
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
delusionalbastard
Hume Mod Apprentice
Forum Member

i thought this was done already

or was those wip images i saw
not sure if i saw the images here, or at xoops, or somewhere else
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Wetdreamer
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusionalbastard View Post
i thought this was done already

or was those wip images i saw
not sure if i saw the images here, or at xoops, or somewhere else
i..dont think so sir. the only other "mob" choco mods i've seen were one that had some twisted fairy tail to it, like a chariot, hmm...the hume F tit fuckin a Durinn or Pandemonium Wardena and diffrent color chocos
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #18
rufiotear
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikona69 View Post
You could move the wing mesh around so they look morenatual at rest and not really have to assign diff weights to them to make them move
b-but we want it to move.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
Alikona69
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufiotear View Post
b-but we want it to move.
Hmmms. I sort of played around with this idea except it was odins horse.... the only way I see possible is to do a lot of animation swaps/custom animations. Now mind you I never really got into animations but would it be possible to use the wyrvern dat with its original skeleton and switch his run animation with his flying animation (do they fly? I don't remember I know the bigger dragons do) and then make custom animations for dismout and probably dig. Can you port animations? I know the skelies are totally different between the two but if you could half ass port the choco dismount animation to the wyrvern that would make a good starting point I would think. Perphaps I'm talking out my ass idk xD
Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
rufiotear
Forum Member

I don't really know much either but,sadly, things don't work that easy.
We can't create new motion commands like /dismount for a model that was not created with it. Thats like me creating a new motion called /tittyfuck for my sex DATs.
When you swap DATs you're swapping over the motion command name list as well. Some mobs have the same command titles like run and walk. That is why most DATs are still able to do these things when swapped for another. Most monsters have a similar motion command lists, but a chocobo isn't a monster and a monster isn't a chocobo.
I'm still working on it and its not as bad as I exaggerated in the other post.lol I guess it felt difficult because this is my first skeletal weight project. It feels promising now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Dat Request/Missing Dat Request Section