Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

Default A little rant about Modern Art...

A little rant about modern art... (skip to the bottom for a link to a shorter summary >.>)

In this topic I plan to cite some of modern art's more topical crimes and let you, the reader, decide for yourself how to react. You see, I unequivocally believe that I am sick to my stomach of modern art's pettiness and simple ignorance. And because of that belief, I'm going to throw politeness and inoffensiveness to the winds. In this topic, I'm going to be as rude and crude as I know how, to reinforce the point that when modern art tells us that the majority of two-faced knuckle-draggers are heroes, if not saints, it somehow fails to mention that some amateurish opportunists don't have a clue. It fails to mention that those who get involved with its insufferable goons are seldom aware of its dealings with bumptious, hidebound parvenus. And it fails to mention that its disciples are blissfully ignorant of its disloyal, ignominious deeds. Whatever weight we accord to that fact, we may be confident that it uses the word "theologicohistorical" without ever having taken the time to look it up in the dictionary. Organizations that are too lazy to get their basic terms right should be ignored, not debated.

Modern art's hypnopompic insights are an icon for the deterioration of the city, for its slow slide into crime, malaise, and filth. We have a dilemma of leviathan proportions on our hands: Should we keep our courage up, or is it sufficient to advance freedom in countries strangled by tyranny? The answer is rather depressing but I'll tell you anyway. The answer begins with the observation that shabby ideas are continually escaping the confines of modern art's (obviously very weak) mind. Well, that's getting away from my main topic, which is that the scantiness of its abstract knowledge directs its sentiments more to the world of antidisestablishmentarianism. But it goes further than that; I do not have the time, in one sitting, to go into the long answer as to why its hypocrisy comes out when it denies that it surrounds itself with reckless nincompoops. But the short answer is that if I have a bias, it is only against supercilious, craven misanthropes who toss sops to the egos of the puerile.

Modern art has never satisfactorily proved its assertion that it is a refined organization with the soundest ethics and morals you can imagine. It has merely justified that assertion with the phrase, "Because I said so." Even though modern art has aired its disapproval of being criticized, I still claim that it will influence the attitudes of dominant culture towards any environment or activity that is predominantly snotty when you least expect it. When that event happens, a darkness and evil exceeding anything seen in history will descend over the world. I can hope only that before it does, people will tell you a little bit about modern art and its self-serving writings. Only then can we balkanize modern art's fastidious little empire into an etiolated and sapless agglomeration. Think about this: if modern art is going to talk about higher standards then it needs to live by those higher standards. Modern art pompously claims that honesty and responsibility have no cash value and are therefore worthless. That sort of nonsense impresses many people,

In closing however, I believe these views are best summed up by the following link
Modern Art Complaint Summary
Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Long story short: Abstract art is a codeword for having no artistic ability.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
Long story short: Abstract art is a codeword for having no artistic ability.
Well, on a serious note: yes, completely correct and I agree wholeheartedly. But not just abstract art, alot of art from the past century, I mean, Duchamp's toilet thingy... seriously I don't get how that is art, or how people would pay money for it >.>;
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Rina Refine

art is anything that the creator feels that it's art.
it's just how many people can feel what the creator feels to make it good or not.
that's not art = X
that's bad art or I don't like that art style is more appropriate. i think.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

First of all to clarify, I'm going to make sure that we're talking about visual art. See, art is a hard one to define. However, you are really going to have a hard time to convince me that Duchamps toilet (whatever the Hell that piece of crap is called), and anything that has been spawned as a result of that abomination, is art x.x; For me, visual art actually does have to have some sort of asthetic quality to it. It can have an intellectual backstory to it, sure, but if it actually holds no visual appeal (and I mean, it doesn't have to look 'nice' or 'beautiful' or stuff like that to have a visual appeal, but there has to be something that people can agree when they look at it that it does actually have an appeal), I really think that yea...

Then also, with lots of modern art, it also lacks pretty much any technical skill. For instance, I go take a look around the art gallery, upstairs they have the new exhibitions, and have some picture on the wall which is sorta like a dragon done in watercolour, and has the skill of a four year old attached to it. Now, sure I suppose it would be unfair to point at someone and say 'that's a load of crap and shouldn't be called art', but what I do think is that for something like that to be in an art gallery, which also means that the artist was paid for it... x.x; I think that probably is the most insulting thing, when you look at something like that, and it actually is pretty much a pile of crap, also knowing that they were paid lots for it. It's also not really the artwork itself that carries weight, if any normal person were to make something like that, they wouldn't get paid squat or receive any recognition. But if the said person is an 'established artist' (i.e. they know people who know people who know people, which is generally how you get anywhere in any type of buisness though I suppose), then immediately their work is deemed to be of any sort of actual quality. I mean, take Duchamp's toilet thingy for example, they tossed it out of the gallery at first before they knew that Duchamp made it, then they found out and were all over it....

Which also brings me to my last little gripe about modern art. I've had people tell me stuff how like 'really good' art is stuff that challenges you, in the words of the person who told me this, a chair in a middle of a room qualifies as good art. But see, that's the thing; everyone's trying to do something that hasn't been done, or trying to be 'new' or creative. But when they're all trying to do that, all the work becomes stale because it's following the same theme, and then in trying to do something new or 'take the road less travelled', you know generally there is a reason why people haven't done something before >_>; Of course that's not always true but generally speaking, for instance, Jackson Polluck type work. Now I suppose saying that modern art =/= art may be going a bit too far, but one does have to admit that modern art does seem to promote the lack of use of any sort of actual technical skill, and that really... yea, I just bloody do hate what art has turned into >_>;
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Rina Refine

so ur mad at the quality of art through your meanings and standards of what you have about art?
but that doesn't change what isn't art and is not.
art doesn't have a definition so if someone's says it's art, it's art.
art is creativity, it doesn't matter if u can copy it, it matters if ur the first one to think of it show to others your product.
art is art as long as it gives u some thought about it.
technical skill is important but only basic skills are; most big discoveries are from mistakes anyways. technical skill also gives u a boundary, which makes a huge difference in the final product. (like about half of the noble prize winners, etc.)
that's why if u watched kung-fu panda, the old turtle says: there are no mistakes.
art is esoteric, but that's what makes it art.
"great" art isn't esoteric, so the common person can appreciate it.
art is special, it's one of the closest ways to express your true self.
so~ i guess art is expressing yourself and if u do/dont like it is the same as not liking the person.
so u dont like "modern" ppl.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Sure, art is in the eye of the beholder, and it always will be.
But I'm not going to pay millions of dollars for a picture of a fucking Campbell's soup can.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Taklest
Perverted Pervert
Forum Member

This topic confuses and intimidates me! : O
Old 08-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
Cocoa-Chocobo
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

That video was awesome.

As for that long read, sorry... I don't want to strain my eyes.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Miayoko
Hurr Durr
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rina Refine
so ur mad at the quality of art through your meanings and standards of what you have about art?
but that doesn't change what isn't art and is not.
art doesn't have a definition so if someone's says it's art, it's art.
art is creativity, it doesn't matter if u can copy it, it matters if ur the first one to think of it show to others your product.
art is art as long as it gives u some thought about it.
technical skill is important but only basic skills are; most big discoveries are from mistakes anyways. technical skill also gives u a boundary, which makes a huge difference in the final product. (like about half of the noble prize winners, etc.)
that's why if u watched kung-fu panda, the old turtle says: there are no mistakes.
art is esoteric, but that's what makes it art.
"great" art isn't esoteric, so the common person can appreciate it.
art is special, it's one of the closest ways to express your true self.
so~ i guess art is expressing yourself and if u do/dont like it is the same as not liking the person.
so u dont like "modern" ppl.
Wow, Rina as much as weve fought before I think this is the first time I agree with you about something =o.o;=
Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

Alright well the first post was actually created using an automated rant generator, hence why it doesn't make any sense, the purpose of it was for the Barack Roll >.>; But, here's my response:

If art has no 'definition' and that anyone has a right to call art 'art', everyone has as much right to say that it is not art. See, the other thing that I believe is that while people should be free to make stuff like this (which is what everyone got so hyped up over Polluck's stuff over, using it for saying 'Oh look, here in the West everyone's so free to do what they want, you Communists suck), I still really hate seeing this crap in an art gallery, where also the person has been paid a crapload of money for it. And what you said about art is a way for people to express themselves, see, the other problem is that not everyone can create art an express themselves, got all these art critics who from my point of view suffer from this Emperor's New Clothes syndrome. As much as they're free to make this stuff, I'm free to say that it's a pile of crap and it shouldn't be called art >.>; And yes, you could say I hate modern people, thank you for pointing out my misanthropy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum