Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Will it help or hurt?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080819/...s_drinking_age

Debating lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18 in Colleges...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Ferris
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Help. It's 18 in other countries and they don't have people abuse it nearly as much. People just do it in the US to be a rebel, the gayest kind of rebel I might add. (I just did something I'm not supposed to! TAKE THAT SOCIETY)

Besides, people are going to drink either way, so it only stops the fickle people. People who hate drinking that are 18 are still not going to do it.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Alizia
Spoonier than a Spoon
Forum Member

Well, over here in Australia the drinking age is 18 anyways, but it might help a tad bit although in reality I don't think it would make too big a difference. I use myself and my brother as an example; my dad being basically a stereotypical Irishman (minus the stupidity) didn't really restrict my brother and I from drinking growing up (and I mean he'd let us have little drinks of wine and stuff like that, not as in giving us glasses of whisky, although there is an amusing story behind that last one >.>), and never really tried to restrict us from drinking a huge amount. The result was that neither of us really felt that it was an 'omfgthisisbetterthandrinkingwinemadebyjesushimsel f' experience drinking alcohol, although the two of us have gone a bit overboard *once*, but neither of us binge drink or the like; we only drink occasionally and at things like parties or such, and even then we don't get flat out drunk anymore.

Now, looking at one of my friends (who I actually am kinda worried about >.>), last year he was a complete teetotaller (he didn't drink a single drop of alcohol), then high school ended, and now even though he's at university, he's a complete alco, starts his days with a shot of vodka >.>; The main thing though is that his parents pretty much forbade him to drink during high school, but then it ended and he turned 18 so yea, now he's a drunk. The main thing I think behind preventing alcoholism is for people to drop the attitude of 'Drinking one drop of alcohol will turn you into a beast and ruin your entire life!' and just encourage people as they grow up about actually why they shouldn't *overdrink*, but teach 'em how to drink in moderation. If there's no great mystery or form of rebellion behind bingedrinking, I think it would happen less. All of the friends I know who binge drink had/have anal retentive parents, where as mine aren't and yea, I don't go around bingedrinking (although I do enjoy a bit of booze now and then).

Now in terms of the age thing, lowering it from 21 to 18 I think would be beneficial since then people who are over 18 won't be trying to be wild or w/e doing what they're not supposed to be doing by drinking. Like I said in Australia our legal drinking age is 18; basically once you turn 18 you're an adult here, no other age restrictions apply. But overall dropping the age isn't going to make a huge difference I think, although I hardly doubt in any shape or form it could be a bad thing.

Also, storytime about what I mentioned with the glass of whisky before. When my brother was 2 (and consequently, I hadn't been born or conceived, so this is a story that my father's told me), my dad just had two friends around and they were drinking just some straight whisky. So my brother went up to my father and held out his hands saying 'Drink, drink!', so my dad just replied saying that 'No Brendan you can't drink this you're too little,' but my dads friend Gwen said 'Oh go ahead John give him a sip. Most adults can't stand straight whisky, he'll drink it and hate it and that'll be that.' My dad ended up having to wrestle the glass out of my brothers hands >.>;
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Yeah I agree, I have toured a few other countrys and seeing a 8 year old drinking the same drink that you drinking only makes you chuckle. I do think its the same as driving, kids turn 16 and want to do it a lot because its something brand new, and there inexperianced with it and thats why there is a greater number of teen fatalities with driving.

Either way I hope it helps and not cause any more problems.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris
Besides, people are going to drink either way, so it only stops the fickle people. People who hate drinking that are 18 are still not going to do it.
Quite true.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
fudgie
Oh, God damnit...
Dat Modder
Forum Member

/rant on AGAIN! I'm on a roll, man.

The drinking age has always pissed me off. I'll just leave it at this:
"18 years old! Yeah! I have to pay taxes, sign up for the draft and I can legally go to prison and die for my country! But one drop of alcohol and SLAM heavy fines and jail! Isn't being an "adult" grand, Uncle Sam!?"

If you're old enough to go to some godforsaken land (no offense intended to anyone who inhabits any land that is, was, or might be godforsaken) and get the shit shot out of you until you die in a horrible rain of bullets and blood and guts, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU HAVE A FUCKING DRINK!?

/rant off
Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
To_Dupre
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie

"18 years old! Yeah! I have to pay taxes, sign up for the draft and I can legally go to prison and die for my country! But one drop of alcohol and SLAM heavy fines and jail! Isn't being an "adult" grand, Uncle Sam!?"

If you're old enough to go to some godforsaken land (no offense intended to anyone who inhabits any land that is, was, or might be godforsaken) and get the shit shot out of you until you die in a horrible rain of bullets and blood and guts, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU HAVE A FUCKING DRINK!?

/rant off
I agree with you totally, but to be honest... the drinking age of Military people really does not apply. There is always someone like you willing to contribute to the deliquence of "minors" in the military for that very reason. Old enough to die for your country but not old enough to drink.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 AM   #8
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I realize I'm an exception to the rule, but I have a unique perspective. I am the perspective of someone who has never drank alcohol before. I'm not going to go into the reasons why.

Whether the drinking age is changed doesn't effect me personally. However, I can say that the legal drinking age means nothing if parents, guardians, and siblings do not enforce the law. The law can only be enforced at the point of sale. Although it is not lawful to distribute alcohol to minors, the police have no way of enforcing it with any regularity.

So regardless of whether they change the law or not, its not going to make a difference unless people follow the law.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #9
cerbbb
gimp brd
Forum Member

ever since i turned 18 ive went to the bar almost everyday... lol
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,283 Times in 3,327 Posts

You know what this all reminds me of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmmegw5qa4

its not the full video but... has the very important message I have to get out about underage drinking!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Gredival
Mishneh L'melech
Forum Member

If they lower the drinking age it won't help right away. A lot of 18-20 year olds will take it as an excuse to get wasted and "prove" why it should remain at 21. They've already cultivated the desire to drink and many of them don't have the corresponding responsibility.

However the next generation of kids growing up will probably be a lot less interested in sneaking out and getting wasted since it won't be so taboo.

But in colleges, the drinking age doesn't matter. This affects more High School students Iwould say. Drinking will become a much less defying the authority trendy thing to do for Juniors and Seniors in HS.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Miayoko
Hurr Durr
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgie

/rant off
QFT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » General Random Topics forum