Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Hume ヒューム .dats

Notices

Old 09-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Linra
Forum Member

Default Alphaing without...

Hello everyone, I would like to ask if anyone knows a way to alpha a dat without damaging the color? I ask because I've seen on XOOPS some picutures of people's dat's showing arrows of their color fixes. *crosses fingers*

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Default Re: Alphaing without...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linra
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if anyone knows a way to alpha a dat without damaging the color? I ask because I've seen on XOOPS some picutures of people's dat's showing arrows of their color fixes. *crosses fingers*

Thanks in advance.
Only way I know that seems to work fine with the NPC models I did was you have to clear out the Alpha Channel, don't put another alpha channel over one that already exists. So basically need a clean .bmp image and alpha over it.

Then convert to DXT3 and save out.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Linra
Forum Member

I'm sorry, I'm still alittle confused ><
Old 09-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

In photoshop you can modify the alpha channel independently. I acquired photoshop by illegal menas and I don't encourage anyone to follow my example. If you're serious aboud .dat modding, then I it may be in your best interest to get Photoshop.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm still alittle confused ><
Basically how I'm doing mine to get a pretty clear image has been:

1.) ChangeText and export .dds
2.) Open .dds in Graphic Converter
3.) Convert .dds to .bmp (Wipes out the Alpha Channel) Save out .bmp
4.) Create new Alpha Channel in Paint/Photoshop/Gimp
5.) Open .bmp and Open as Alpha Channel the .bmp to be used as Alpha Channel
6.) Convert this into .dds format DXT3
7.) Save out finished product.

As far as I can tell it seems to create a clean image as you can see with the fishing guild mithra 18+ mod I made (The one with stockings) her legs don't look any different then her top. The top is a true clean texture.

See the bad Alpha Mapping from Graphic Converter the only way I've seen this happen is because they did this instead of what's above:

1.) Create New Alpha Channel in Paint/Photoshop/Gimp
2.) Open .dds and Open as Alpha Channel of the .bmp to be used as Alpha Channel (This is start of degrade)
3.) Re-convert to .dds format DXT3 to get new Alpha Channel in (This is were the quality degrades)
4.)Save out finished product

It's shorter process yes but your texture quality pays for it.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
Linra
Forum Member

Well I do actually have Photoshop, could either of you give me a very quick run through on how to Alpha on Photoshop? =x

Once I finish the Alpha'ing on the chest piece I'll be done hehe, yay!

Edit: Eep you got that reply in just as I did lol, let me read yours.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Quote:
Well I do actually have Photoshop, could either of you give me a very quick run through on how to Alpha on Photoshop? =x

Once I finish the Alpha'ing on the chest piece I'll be done hehe, yay!

Edit: Eep you got that reply in just as I did lol, let me read yours.
If you are doing it with Photoshop, then there is a Plug-in you can get that lets you open the .dds file. It should be pretty obvious from there how you can mess with the Alpha Channel independantly.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

Okay, first of all, you need the plugin. Go here and downlad the plugin. http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html. When you're done with that, follow the hyperlink on the web page for putting them in the plugin folder.

Now that that's complete, boot up Photoshop and load a .dds file. You will see in the borrom right area five "channels" which are texture maps, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha 1. I only touch the RGB and Alpha 1 channels, but you are free to do as you wish. Modifying the RGB channel changes the colors of the texture. As for the Alpha 1, wherever it is black is invisible, and wherever it is "not black" is visible. This means any color that isn't black. You can pain the damn thing green with yellow polka dot spots and it will still be visible. For an area to be invisible, it needs to be pure black. Which means that you'll have to go over it several times just to make sure (even though it appears black to the naked eye, it sometimes isn't.)

IMPORTANT: When you save your .dds, make sure to select the DXT3 ARGB (Explicit Alpha) setting on the Nvidia save screen, or it won't work. After you do this the first time it will set it as default.

Here's a quick tip: Use the polygonal lasso tool on the RGB area to outline where you want to alpha out bits. Don't deselect. Now switch to the Alpha 1 and the lasso tool will still be there. Your black pencil tool will now be restricted to the area within the selected area. Very neat for alphaing out unwanted areas.

One last thing. You can save a .dds as a .bmp and visa versa, just make sure to use "Save As" and change the file format when saving. Even though you may save your .dds as a .bmp, it will still retain the Alpha data. (Remember, Metasequoia uses the .bmp and Modelviewer and FFXI use the .dds.)
Old 09-20-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
Dammerung
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Edit > Fill > Black works well for alpha if you make a selection.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » Hume ヒューム .dats