Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner

Notices

Old 10-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Asgardian
Hits refresh on here alot
Forum Member

Default Change Tex

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on this program? I cant figure it out >< Ive seen mods where people use patterns from an original dat and used it on a custom. (Nobel's design on "Nobel's Slacks" comes to mind.) I assume this was down with Change Tex? If not, is anyone willing to give a small explanation? Its bugging me really bad;;
Old 10-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

There are 3 buttons to know.

1) Top right button is the "import" button.
2) Bottom right button is the "export" button.
3) Bottom left button is the "replace" button.

If you don't have the .dds file ready to go, import the .dat file that has the .dds file you need using the top button. It loads the files you are going to manipulate.

It will display the .dds files that .dat is using. To extract it out of the .dat, use the bottom right button, and you will be promted to assign a location and name file.

Now that you have the .dds file, its time to import the .dat you want to change the texture of. Once it's imported, highlight the file you want to replace, then click the bottom left button. Find the new .dds file to use and accept. It may take a second, but you will get a dialogue box saying "success."

Look at it in Modelviewer now and you've got a different texture.

Hint: Usually the nude skin texture is named Sotai.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
kuroijishou
Evil Overlord in Training
Forum Member

All Change Tex does is replace the .dds file in the .dat with a new one.

Program Explaination:
{...} Beside File Path allows you to select the .dat you wish to replace the .dds on.
Image Info: The list allows you to select the texture in the .dat to be replaced. The first one is automatically selected.
{????} (First bottom botton on left) you click on this then you select the .dds file that will overwrite the currently selected one.
{DDS ??} (Bottom botton on right) you click on this and it'll allow you to export the .dds file from the .dat into a separate .dds file that can be worked on, edited, ect.

EDIT: Whoa, someone beat me to it on explaining it XD

All that real work is actually done with like Photoshop or some .dds / .bmp editing program.

The thing with changing textures is that you have to figure out what goes where especially when the different parts ar jumbled about on one .dds file. Hume F Opaline for example: The finger area was actually between the front and back body where the arms come out at.
Another thing you will have to watch out for is how the texture is wrapped in certain areas. Like the Hume F Opaline mod I did, i had to play with the arm a little bit to have it match up with the hands cause the red area of the arms went around too far compared to the hands.
Yet another thing to watch out for when editing is mirroring. Make sure things match up or would look good mirrored unles syou get ahold of one that isn't mirrored. I had a minor problem with the modded faces in the "Messy" Mods thread cause one had the back hair mirrored in a few spots.

Oh, a note with the .dds files, if you edit just them, you'll loose quality from saving over time in that format. I use .bmp cause of that XD

I work with the .bmp files, add the alpha from the original and convert to DTX3 format .dds using Graphics Converter 3. I sorta explained how to do that program in one of the threads XD but I'll repost it here if you need it, too.

I hope that helps and not confuses you. :D
Old 10-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Asgardian
Forum Member

lol sounds confusing, i'll fidgit with it some more when I get off work tonight. Thanks guys^^
Old 10-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

To be honest, ChangeTex is the easiest program to use of all the modding programs. If you have a hard time with it, then perhaps .dat modding isn't such a good idea.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
kuroijishou
Evil Overlord in Training
Forum Member

Sorry i think I caused the confusion lol. XD but I summed up ChangeTex in the first line. i bet the rest of the stuff I said confused Zer05um a bit. Ignore it if it confuses :/ I'm just a n00b :o
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
Asgardian
Forum Member

lmao wow I feel retarded- I figured it out. Thanks guys total brain fart there... lol
Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Shinrasin
The Divine King
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer05um
lmao wow I feel retarded- I figured it out. Thanks guys total brain fart there... lol
II lots you guys some where and i dont even think i on the same page as you guys atm lol
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
Ghost446
Forum Member

.. every time i try to replace the DDS of the Dat the program shuts down with a windows error message
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Wenrick
The Venerable Wen
Dat Modder

I believe my tutorials are still downloadable. They are in this thread. The ChangeTex one is there, and its a very quick video.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Thought it was weird that this thread was in the Mithra section, so I moved it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » FFXI Modders Corner