Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » NPCs, Mobs, Chocobo etc

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Vegontt
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default I did something wrong....

:shock: Does anyone know how this happened? I'm not sure if i misplaced a file or what because all the mobs in my game are named NPC, and I need to know how to fix it :cry: please help :oops:
Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Can I see a pic of that?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Twitter: Kanikou

Default Re: I did something wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegontt
:shock: Does anyone know how this happened? I'm not sure if i misplaced a file or what because all the mobs in my game are named NPC, and I need to know how to fix it :cry: please help :oops:
in my 4 yrs of playing I've NEVER heard or seen of this before lol....

I'd like to see this too. Because it must have been something big you messed up..also what did you change?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Vegontt
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

I've changed so many dats in this game i'm not sure which one did it if any.

I'm not sure how to post pics off my comp (no url) so here's two screenshots i took in a .zip file
Attached Files
File Type: ace npc_327.ace (1.83 MB, 120 views)
Old 10-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not sure how to post pics off my comp (no url) so here's two screenshots i took in a .zip file
Hrm..if you run windower you could take SSs using the features of it, or using something like fraps. then hosting it on a site like Imageshack. (I frein from downloading .ace files lol.)
Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:

You can upload jpg/gif/png files here as an attachment and they will show up in your post. For bmp files, just change them to jpg by opening them in MS Paint, then Save As and select jpg instead of bmp as the file type.

Is it just me, or are you using a font mod? It's been a while since I played, so they may have changed the font since then. But, yeah, I have no idea how in the world that could happen. :shock:
Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Vegontt
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Ok, here they are lol :?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf_2_318.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	4303   Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf_npc_375.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	4304  
Old 10-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
..No Idea what the hell you did lol. I've never...seen someone able to change the names of anything in FFXI lol before (since I figured a good ammount were server and client side combined..meh).
Old 10-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
Vegontt
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Maybe SE somehow found out about my .dat changing addiction problem and are punishing me....because this hole thing is slowly tearing away at my heart :cry:

...omg whats next.. :shock:
Old 10-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz2k1
Quote:
..No Idea what the hell you did lol. I've never...seen someone able to change the names of anything in FFXI lol before (since I figured a good ammount were server and client side combined..meh).
actually. all the NPC/spell/WS ect names are stored in several .dat files somewhere in ROM1, somebody could use POLUtils to find them and post them here

PS:it's probably somewhere in ROM1-1
Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Not sure where mob names are stored, but I did find this... :shock:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheat_menu_159.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	4307  
Old 10-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Kanikou
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickern
Seen something like that years ago, it's actually for the "Debug" menu.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickern
Seen something like that years ago, it's actually for the "Debug" menu.
Yeah, it seems like it. Just something the developers threw in for themselves to work with.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #14
Dammerung
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Pretty sure you can edit mob names to yourself by modifying the zone mob dat list. I saw some people talking about it to pinpoint placeholder mobs for NM.

Maybe you fucked with one of these dats and it defaulted to name everything NPC.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
Errren
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

i kinda but not have the same thing.. well maybe sorta different. I was down in GC hunting the coffer. I was behind the 2nd gate when i tabbed onto a "NPC" named thing. no clue how to get to it or what it really is. I finally decided if i really was ment to know, then i would so i should not bother lol.

Edit: the rant and ravings of a Stoned person being bored camping Orc God for 3 hrs =(
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Yeah, this error is due to the .dat list for the mob names being compromised. The info on the .dats and what for this use to be on FFXIOnline.com's website, but as a collective decision by the moderators it was decided that the information was an extreeme breach of the ToS and promptly removed.

Yes, messing with that .dat would give you the placeholder (even showing up in widescan) which would give you unfair knowledge of were the NM is going to spawn next. Especially with the case of mobs like Leaping Lizzy, Valkrum Emperor, Jaggedy-Eared Jack, Argus/Leech King, and many others.

Because of that I'm not willing to give much info on this. Sorry to hear that the names .dat file got messed up for you, don't know Gulks standing on allowing cheats here but I do hope if you figure out which .dat it is that got messed up you can fix it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
Vegontt
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Ok, maybe you misunderstood me but it seems like you think i did this on purpose or to some how gain an unfair advantage over other players but, you're wrong by thinking that because this was an ACCIDENT, I have no idea how it happened but I would like to fix it because I dont enjoy it...at all, I have no intention of cheating or attempting to. And i've never attempted to change the names of mobs, It may seem like i was and messed up, causing this problem but i have NEVER attempted it and honestly i never knew it was even possible to do that. :|
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Quote:
Ok, maybe you misunderstood me but it seems like you think i did this on purpose or to some how gain an unfair advantage over other players but, you're wrong by thinking that because this was an ACCIDENT, I have no idea how it happened but I would like to fix it because I dont enjoy it...at all, I have no intention of cheating or attempting to. And i've never attempted to change the names of mobs, It may seem like i was and messed up, causing this problem but i have NEVER attempted it and honestly i never knew it was even possible to do that. :|
I'm not saying that you did. Like I said:

Quote:
Yeah, this error is due to the .dat list for the mob names being compromised.
I did not target, I however pointed out that the .dat can be used to cheat. Which is why I won't comment on the .dat not to say that you will or not I don't know, but I'd rather not risk that is all I'm stating.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

this is quoted from the WIP section of pebble's POLUtils forum

Quote:
I was recently pointed to a set of DATs (thanks Suiram) that are more-or-less readable in Notepad, which seem to contain all monsters/npcs/... of a given zone (no positions, just names).
Support for those DATs has been added to POLUtils; there are two problems though: a) it will take a helluva lot of time to find all of em for FFXI & RotZ (at least until I write that mass extractor thing), and b) it may take some doing to map DATs to zones.

On that note, if you can match a DAT to a zone, or if you found another set of this type of file, please post here.
Known sets:

CoP: ROM3\2\112-127, ROM3\3\1-81
ToAU: ROM4\1\60-98

Do note ROM4\1\97.DAT:

01062001 Bigbird
01062002 PvP Switcher
so it will be added sometime in the future, no telling how long though

http://polutils.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=30

Edit1:added URL linking to where this info is getting posted
Edit2:pebbles has already released a new version of POLUtils with the npc/mob list support found here http://users.telenet.be/pebbles/downloads.html
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
Onionsoilder
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrubient
Yeah, this error is due to the .dat list for the mob names being compromised. The info on the .dats and what for this use to be on FFXIOnline.com's website, but as a collective decision by the moderators it was decided that the information was an extreeme breach of the ToS and promptly removed.

Yes, messing with that .dat would give you the placeholder (even showing up in widescan) which would give you unfair knowledge of were the NM is going to spawn next. Especially with the case of mobs like Leaping Lizzy, Valkrum Emperor, Jaggedy-Eared Jack, Argus/Leech King, and many others.

Because of that I'm not willing to give much info on this. Sorry to hear that the names .dat file got messed up for you, don't know Gulks standing on allowing cheats here but I do hope if you figure out which .dat it is that got messed up you can fix it.
The moderators didn't remove it, I did upon request by the fourm users.
I know what happened, but if you don't know how it happened it would take an eternium to track down the bug and fix it, so you are better off finding a copy and downloading and replacing it. If it happens in multiple zones, you will need to replace all of them.

What happened was in each of the zone .dats, their are a list of monster names. I don't remmeber the exact number, but each monster in the zone has the exact same amount fo bytes in their name, usually preoccupied with spaces for shorter names. If this is disturbed by adding extra bytes to thew order, all the monsters after the intruding byte will appear as "NPC"

And your wrong about the NM thing, it didn't tell you where the NM would spawn, it located the monster needed to be killed to make the NM spawn. The NM could still spawn anywhere, it just made the process of killing placeholders less tedious... only advantage it provided was you wouldn't be in a fight with a non-placeholder monster if the NM spawned during that time. But still, it could be abused, so I removed it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » FFXI DAT Section » NPCs, Mobs, Chocobo etc