Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Saphire
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default New monitor

Yo!
Buying a new monitor, and since FFXI is one of the many uses for my PC I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise.

First of all its LCD or CRT. LCD looks awsome (on the outside. Makes me feel I'm in the future... or in a mac store) but I'm not sure about the image~ heard its slower than a CRT and that it looks bad unless you are sitting right infront of it.
Then I was wondering about resolution~ had seen a 1440x900 widescreen monitor, but FFXI doesn't seem to support that resolution... I don't know, would it look stretched out? o_O
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Shirai
永遠 倒錯
Forum Member

I'm on a 17" 14ms LCD myself,

for stuff like FFXI that is way more then enough and compared to my old 19"CRT it looks about just the same or even better because I get less headaches and square eyes while playing.

If you indeed play other games which require more then you might want to consider a faster screen
Old 10-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
luna_panshiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default Re: New monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Yo!
Buying a new monitor, and since FFXI is one of the many uses for my PC I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise.

First of all its LCD or CRT. LCD looks awsome (on the outside. Makes me feel I'm in the future... or in a mac store) but I'm not sure about the image~ heard its slower than a CRT and that it looks bad unless you are sitting right infront of it.
Then I was wondering about resolution~ had seen a 1440x900 widescreen monitor, but FFXI doesn't seem to support that resolution... I don't know, would it look stretched out? o_O
my brother used to registry edit FFXI to fit his screen, and it caused all sorts of wierd visual problems that had nothing to do with height/width distortaion

for one, the areas in-game looked foggy at all times like it sometimes gets in early morning game time. also chunks of buildings/objects kept dissappearing/reappearing with slight camera chnges

i'm not exactly sure what the cause was, but i know it happened every time he changed his resolution and it stopped when he set it back

PS:it was a higher end video card so i doubt it was because resolution was too high for the card
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

You can change the aspect ratio in game to fit widescreen monitors. Modern day LCD's are great, most of them boast incredibly fast speeds, and they just look nice. I'll never use a CRT again.

As for the distortions, FFXI has conflicts with certain video cards. When using my old Geforce FX 5900 ultra (which was like nearly top of the line when FF came out), I could not enable bmp mapping otherwise the entire zone would get fogged over and I couldn't see anything. However with other newer cards I could enable it with no problems.

There are also certain driver conflicts. One of the Nvidia drivers caused interesting glitches with invisible where my lower half would disappear completely, and the upper half would just be grayed out as usual.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
l3each
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

LCD > CRT

The only advantage CRT has is better color, however there limited in size, as in if you go over like 22 inch CRT you risk the tubes blowing out. Wile LCD doesn't have the color it is longer lasting and more durabule not to mention cheaper.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Saphire
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I still don't get the advantage of LCDs (other than being thin).
I mean, CRT goes faster, has better colors and looks well from any angle. I'd be getting 17'' or 19'', so I'm not afraid of it blowing up.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Well Techical statements on them are generally summed down to this:

LCD pros:
  • Absolutly no burn-in
  • Highest sharpness of image
  • No "Rainbowing effect"
  • 160 Degree or higher image clarity

LCD cons:
  • Some have a "screening" effect were it looks like you are looking through a screen door, especially when size goes over 40 inches. (LCOS 'Liquid Crystal Over Silicon' was created for this, LCOS is LCD just cracks are filled in with silicon to remove the meshing effect).
  • Interlaced can have image breaking were one half lags behind the other.
  • Low color contrast (Older versions, newer versions have actually compensated for this)
  • Always has a dead spot, want an LCD were it's dead spot is off to a corner were it won't be noticed. (Again newer compensates by getting the dead spots more off to the corners so less of a worry)

CRT pros:
  • High color contrast
  • No meshing effect over 40 inches

CRT cons:
  • Can have "Rainbowing" (Some people the image will break down to specific colors)
  • Has High burn-in rate. Things that stay on the screen in the same spot over time will burn a shadowy image of it, techniques to reduce the effect are done but only extends the time till burn-in. The extended time is enough that generally the effect is the whole TV starts loosing contrast.
  • Only has 180 degree clarity if it's flat screen.

All the different types have pro and cons it's generally what are you planning to use it for and what is the environment like that it's being placed. Is it a bright room gets lots of sunlight, or a dark room and now outside light sources?

For gaming though definatly the best one is LCD or LCOS. For Theater like feel a projection TV works best. For high color clarity a CRT or Plasma are best for the enhanced Theather or True to life feel. So far I'm kind of leaning towards maybe getting a Sony Bravio myself. Seeing its image quality in comparison to others its a very clear and color vibrant LCD/LCOS TV.

Then I'm also curious to see Toshiba's TV with the CBE technology when they release it.

There is a lot of things between the technology, the CRTs in order to keep up with the others have actually gotten bigger and heavier. They are putting a lot of stuff to try and keep up. Also for the CRT I might be mistaken on the Rainbowing that's the DLPs and Projectiles that I know have that problem.

Really most of the downfalls that LCD had have pretty much been fixed, the good brands are quite impressive image displays. A few even able to boast contrasts higher then CRT, and since they don't get any burn-in it means they'll sustain that contrast quality for it's lamp life.

Just another quick show use Burn-in as an example:
Burn-in: CRT, Plasma, Projection
No Burn-in: LCD, LCOS, DLP

All 6 are different technology and different approaches to displaying an image and all 6 have different strengths and weaknesses. So really it's what you plan to use it for and which do you want it to do as a more important thing. Oh, and then of course the cost...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Barachiel
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I have an older Sony LCD (like 3 years old) and I love it. I can see it clearly from any angle.

CRT's are dying, LCD's are the future.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barachiel
I have an older Sony LCD (like 3 years old) and I love it. I can see it clearly from any angle.

CRT's are dying, LCD's are the future.
I should of also pointed out the deal with speed if it's an interlaced then regardless of if it's and LCD or CRT a poor quality TV doing interlaced will always have a lagging effect were one portion of the image breaks from the rest. Progressive scan doesn't have this problem so really the lag issues is more a fault of the TV quality not the technology.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Liete
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I bought an LCD about 2 months ago. Not exactly a name brand and I wasn't really satisfied at first cause I had to run back and forth about 4-5 times because there were dead pixels on the screen. I ended up getting the one that had 1 on it. But I went home and was still frustrated so i started to rub it and it dissapeared.

So if you're getting an LCD be sure to check it before leaving the store. The customer service person at my Fry's tested 3-4 monitors before I left.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
Corrderio
Man Who Sold The World
Forum Member

I dunno if it's just me, but LCD screens really blur backgrounds on 8 bit games.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 AM   #12
Tirrock
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

If you move a lot (college especially) LCD is the way to go. I hated lugging around my CRT monitor up and down a few floors and to my car about 500ft away from the building I was living in, because everybody else took all the closer parking spots.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrderio
I dunno if it's just me, but LCD screens really blur backgrounds on 8 bit games.
Lol, 8 bit games with blurry backgrounds isn't necessarily a result of the LCD. The resolution more likely but not the LCD. Because the old 8 bit games were built more around 3:4 ratio resolution and LCD are usually set to a Widescreen resolution of course you'll get blurring unless you get some buffering on the left and right sides to help with that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » Final Fantasy MMO » FFXI Stuff