Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Default psu or ffxi?

what tis better
Old 11-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Kibz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I'll honestly take FFXI or even WoW over any PSU games Sega releases.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei
The hentai is out there...

Thanked 6,214 Times in 3,294 Posts

It isn't too bad mainly for a few reasons...

You can solo or PT. Can invite anyone from anywhere.
you can have an entire exp area to yourself, and block anyone else from entering

this goes same for bosses, you can have it all to yourself.

no waiting for PT, just go in join party or start one and people will jsut randomly jump in.

ability to go from your room -> exp spot in seconds no matter the lvl. able to go to a store matter of seconds, or even reach a friends PT on another server from anywhere several zones away in a min. Your "always" able to get to your friends fast, even if they are standing infront of the boss room. You can get there in a few min across servers several zones away.

Run your own shop, your prices. the "crafting" is easy or lvling it, just feed it! Anything or buildup an area you want to excel in for your craft.

No skillchains no magic burst setup... just zerg stuff down nonstop killing.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
Kickern
Forum Police
Dat Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva

you can have an entire exp area to yourself, and block anyone else from entering

no waiting for PT, just go in join party or start one and people will jsut randomly jump in.

ability to go from your room -> exp spot in seconds no matter the lvl. able to go to a store matter of seconds, or even reach a friends PT on another server from anywhere several zones away in a min. Your "always" able to get to your friends fast, even if they are standing infront of the boss room. You can get there in a few min across servers several zones away.

Run your own shop, your prices. the "crafting" is easy or lvling it, just feed it! Anything or buildup an area you want to excel in for your craft.

Sounds apealing to people who don't care to think much about battle and also don't want to spend countless hours just running to places you want to goto. :P
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulkeeva

Sounds apealing to people who don't care to think much about battle and also don't want to spend countless hours just running to places you want to goto. :P
Yup... it would be the dream PT for a dragoon... no waiting to exp, you go when you want to anytime anywhere by yourself, your NPC, or a PT.. or friends with no one else bothering you.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
Desi
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

I say FFXI. I didn't think PSU lived up to PSO for some reasons. But FFXI is full of crazy people that are way to strict and well you can't hear them over voicechat through normal means anyway.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Mithus
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

color=red]so psu would be better it seems like a easier game to play so far[/color]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Kibz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Don't mistake easy for better >.> just means you'll do everything and get bored faster.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibz
Don't mistake easy for better >.> just means you'll do everything and get bored faster.
True, if you want "new scenery stuff you might not like PSU in its current state as it jsut came out. Not too much to see

If you like killing and zerging nonstop al lday anytime with anyone or yourself you'll like PSu in its current state.

its set to have additions "per weak" and lvl cap raise 10 per month
Old 11-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
erasmus
Forum Member

Quote:
Easy means you can do more stuff, where in FFXI you're stuck waiting around for people to do anything, unless you're a NIN. That's the reason PSU/WoW etc will do better than FFXI, which is a dying game. Trust me, I did everything possible in FFXI (my LS was the second best on Bismarck, behind IRON) before I quit with pretty much the best gear possible on my RNG outside of relic.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
Saphire
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmus
Quote:
Easy means you can do more stuff, where in FFXI you're stuck waiting around for people to do anything, unless you're a NIN. That's the reason PSU/WoW etc will do better than FFXI, which is a dying game. Trust me, I did everything possible in FFXI (my LS was the second best on Bismarck, behind IRON) before I quit with pretty much the best gear possible on my RNG outside of relic.
<sarcasm> I agree, FFXI is totally a dying game. It has been running up in popularity for four years, just released a new expansion and is implementing a handfull of new activities. But just you wait four years more, FFXI's future is fickle! Fickle I say! </sarcasm>

Now, sarcasm aside, anyone who claims to have done everything possible in FFXI has no idea what he's saying. Specially because if he quit already, he couldn't have possibly have tried what was recently released (the ashu talif events for example?). Same goes for equipment, and even more if he quit without relic (I'm guessing you weren't a very dynamis commited person, have you even tried all the areas? and I'm not talking about the four nations and ice.)

etcetera, etcetera.

Easier doesn't mean you can do more stuff, it means you can clear things faster and without the same challenge (and probably not the same feeling of reward as you'd have for something you've worked hard on).
A game being too easy could lead to taking the game as something meaningless and making it harder to feel as excited when playing it as you would when doing something more challenging.

I haven't played PSU yet so I'm not going to make an opinion about it specifically. I'm a PSO and PSO2 fan since dreamcast, so believe me I am not trying to bash on PSU.

Personally, I spent my time clearing all the hunter missions at the hunter's guild on PSO because I didn't find random monster bashing to be very entertaining after having cleared the zones repeatedly.

On a last note, PSU's character creation system looks orgasmic. Oh, and the gaming areas are capped in ammount of players allowed in, aren't they? Meh.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Errren
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Remember wheb Sega Gensis was awesome!!!!!! well its 2006 now so sega needs to give up abd realize that the 90'a are over .... >.>

staying FFXI
Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Saphire
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Still PSU seems to cover everything FFXI is missing, like fast area traveling for casual gameplay and fast moving fights. :O
Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Damnit, seriously you can't have it both ways. Fast transportation shortens the world and makes the developers time creating a beautiful world pointless. Isolation of players is just down right silly, your playing a damn MMO you are suppose to interact with others. If you don't want to interact and the game takes that trend then it should not of attempted to be an MMO.

Sorry but I'm sticking with FFXI, EQ, and Lineage as being the better MMOs. Even though EQ does it make it to easy to travel in the older zones at least they reinvent it in different ways that still encourages players to explore the zones, so giving developers purpose to make appealing environments.

Yes, anyone that says they've done all and seen all on an MMO is just full of themselves. Especially since MMOs are constantly progressing, the guy could boast that type of claim for only 1 month at best, after that his statement is a load of crap. Anyone think that a MMO is dying after 4 years really don't know MMOs that well then, since many are over 10 years old and still gaining members. Usually if a MMO flops it happens in the first year, this is already it's 4th year so FFXI definatly wasn't a flop.

It may of had a rocky start for customer base to development cost, but it survived that just fine.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:36 AM   #15
Kibz
Regular Forum User
Forum Member

Quote:
I'm leveling RNG just because all of it's end game gear is insanely easy to get, and a lot of the best pieces aren't even /ex or more than 10mil.(I like AF and coffin maker too) The only hard to get items it has are the two torques with archery and marksmanship skill bonuses and relic gun/bow.

Ironic you had to mention how experienced you were for equipping it...right >.> Doesn't sound like you were around when ToA came out either.

If PSU is anywhere near as easy as WoW, I don't see it offering much either. I'm expecting it to have more because well...WoW's been out a while and you can cap crafts/class levels in less than a full month of play. Nearly capped my first craft before I even hit lv 10, in the same day I bought WoW. Doesn't leave much left after you get gear from spamming instances.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #16
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrubient
Damnit, seriously you can't have it both ways. Fast transportation shortens the world and makes the developers time creating a beautiful world pointless. Isolation of players is just down right silly, your playing a damn MMO you are suppose to interact with others. If you don't want to interact and the game takes that trend then it should not of attempted to be an MMO.

Sorry but I'm sticking with FFXI, EQ, and Lineage as being the better MMOs. Even though EQ does it make it to easy to travel in the older zones at least they reinvent it in different ways that still encourages players to explore the zones, so giving developers purpose to make appealing environments.

Yes, anyone that says they've done all and seen all on an MMO is just full of themselves. Especially since MMOs are constantly progressing, the guy could boast that type of claim for only 1 month at best, after that his statement is a load of crap. Anyone think that a MMO is dying after 4 years really don't know MMOs that well then, since many are over 10 years old and still gaining members. Usually if a MMO flops it happens in the first year, this is already it's 4th year so FFXI definatly wasn't a flop.

It may of had a rocky start for customer base to development cost, but it survived that just fine.
True fast transportation can make you skip alot scenery. But they did "most" of the scenery where you level at where you spend like possible hour lvling at, and the "midway point stations"

Like multiple layers of clouds.. fogs, tree's super distant scenery birds flying around butterflies etc, I outa take a video of one.

You pretty much have a choice if... you want to go kill fast you can get there really fast. 2 ways to get to stuff..

your room -> planet selection -> where you want to be teleported (get to battle field in like 1min)

Walk from space station -> space ship transportation lobby -> next planet -> walk town -> get to battle field counter and then go (get to battle field in 10min+)

The game dosne't really isolate you from anything... you'd have to force it otherwise random people can hop in.

You can always invite friends from anywhere on the planet, friends can meet friends fast/. Farm a PT across worlds instantly.

I think I got like.. 40-50 friend cards and I pt with several. Theres no 'exp penalty" for level differences so you can help friends out etc.

So... basically you cna choose how you want to do things...

Levle solo without any interuption of others
Level with random people
Level with only friends (locking all others out)
You can have friends come to help you on boss fights (has marker points so friuends can come fast to boss room)
Level with NPC's

There's no kill stealing, theres no ninja lotting. Theres no difference in exp if a Level 50 in your group kills something with a Lv 5 (unless it dies before they hit it)

Overall, its basically... no waiting , level how you want to level

overall though I miss auto attack on ffxi and auto follow ;/

On this threads pic of some lvling area's

http://www.neko-sentai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865

although it looks like medium quality looks good still, pretty scenic

Overall basically jsut comes down to how people like to do things, soorta miss some things in ffxi still :P
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #17
Hadrubient
Forum Police

Yeah, saw some of the scenery. It kind of reminds me of "Star Ocean III: Till the End of Time". The rooms are almost a dead on match to Star Ocean. Just the problem is I still feel that the ability to enforce seclusion on a MMO RPG game is counter productive to the RPG design.

One of the tasks and designs of a MMO game is it's to create communities. Just seems like PSU is creating "clicks" instead of communities. Just makes it less appealing because I've got a feeling there will be many more people that want to play with groups but end up rarely getting to or end up taking a lonely path. Something that happens still in any MMO I know, just feel it's likely going to be more frequent on this one then others.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:53 AM   #18
sancherv
Guilty by design
Forum Member

Quote:
Fast transportation shortens the world and makes the developers time creating a beautiful world pointless.
Because waiting on a virtual airship is cool....or riding a Chocobo through the same paths over and over. =/ True, FFXI's landscapes are still nice to look at, but after you've looked at it so many times...kinda gets pointless to take the usual methods of transportation every day...

Kinda off topic, I was searching for Antimates for my PM, and came across Gulk's shop on the list. XD Was pretty sure it was you from your store ad, though you weren't in your shop when I went, lol. :cry:
Old 11-25-2006, 04:33 AM   #19
Gulkeeva
Mithra Ero-Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancherv
Quote:
Fast transportation shortens the world and makes the developers time creating a beautiful world pointless.
Because waiting on a virtual airship is cool....or riding a Chocobo through the same paths over and over. =/ True, FFXI's landscapes are still nice to look at, but after you've looked at it so many times...kinda gets pointless to take the usual methods of transportation every day...

Kinda off topic, I was searching for Antimates for my PM, and came across Gulk's shop on the list. XD Was pretty sure it was you from your store ad, though you weren't in your shop when I went, lol. :cry:
Most lkely, since I'm the only person with the name :p
Randomly someone recognized what anime my name is from.. that soorta was shocking O_o

oh and here's some "Scenery" for you to look at from PSU :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psu20061114_064641_010_895.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	4993   Click image for larger version

Name:	psu20061118_135600_002_148.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	4994   Click image for larger version

Name:	psu20061121_080405_013_124.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	4995  

Click image for larger version

Name:	psu20061125_133354_002_338.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	4996   Click image for larger version

Name:	psu20061122_111458_018_429.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	4997   Click image for larger version

Name:	mountain3_170.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	4998  

Old 11-26-2006, 04:25 AM   #20
Diggity
Forum Lurker
Forum Lurker

Default I love them both, but differently

New to the forums here so forgive the intrusion but I noticed you were on the JP servers there, so I take it your imported. Did you happen to get a US copy as well b/c I swear I saw someone with your name mentioning FFXI on the US servers.

Either way, I just rejoined the ranks of FFXI after some sad time away and one of the reasons for my return is PSU. I do enjoy the game a lot even though mags were part of the reason why I loved PSO and my pore Fenewearl got a little nerfed, but it is still good times.

I'll say one thing that II believe has not been mentioned about it in comparison to FFXI and even WoW. In PSU there is a lot of swtiching targets, and short of being a rdm there isn't much of that in FFXI or WoW except for some raid encounters. In PSU there is a greater need to be aware of all the other mobs so nobody sneaks up on you and knocks you on your duff while trying to swing a sword twice your size! Then again my fickle nature and love of changing jobs has not allowed me to see much of the FFXI lategame so I could be mistaken.

But that doesn't necessarily make it better imho. Just different. I don't really think of PSU as an MMO in many ways. Sure I pay a fee for it but I did for Planetside as well and that is in no way comparable to FFXI or PSU for that matter. I'd say PSU is to FFXI as Champions of Norath is to FFXII. If you want something light, give it a shot, you may enjoy it, you may not. Sega made it easily accessible by having no CD keys anyway ;)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Neko-Sentai » General Discussion Forums » Game Discussions